It was like any normal day in the mountains. The air was cold and crisp, the mountain was frozen solid, and the Ice Climbers were quickly climbing to the top. The grabbed spikes and hammered their mallets on them and climbed up the mountain. Each one helping the other. But suddenly, a piece of ice cracked and Popop slipped. Nana grabbed him in the nick of time and hoiste dhim back up to the mountain. Another crack sent a sheet of ice upon the climbers but they dodged before it crashed. However, a smaller piece cracked off and headed right for Nana. Popo went before Nana and smashed the ice with his hammer. Suddenly, the entire mountain cracked underneath them and they began to tumble down with the piece of ice and rock. They grabbed each others hands as they fell down to the darkness below. Above head, a giant mechanical island hovered over the collapsed mountain.
The Ice Climbers from Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Name: Ice Climbers
Universe: Ice Climbers
Debut: Ice Climbers (1985)
Element Alignment: Ice
Reasons for Fighting: Exploration
The Ice Climbers come back a 3rd time with their over-sized mallets, parkas, and ice-related powers! The Ice Climbers, Nana and Pop work as a team and, as a team, deliver double the damage. This, in fact, is what makes them a unique and interesting character. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Ice Climbers are great campers that deliver powerful and confusing attacks thanks to the second partner however they are some what limited when th follower dies resulting in the leader’s recovery move being severely nerfed.
Changes from SSBB to SSB4
The removal of infinite throws would help balance the Ice Climbers in terms of gameplay. Nana can only throw upwards when grabbing an opponent however, some of their attacks have been buffed up to compensate. Namely smash attacks, aerials, and crouching attacks. As well Down aerial causes Popo to fall down faster than Nana. Also, Nana can sometimes push Popo should Popo get in the way.
Ice Climbers Special B Move Set
- Neutral B – Ice Shot
- Side B – Squall Hammer
- Up B – Belay
- Down B – Blizzard
The Final Trio
- Final Smash: Ice Sculptures
- Final Melee: Iceberg
- Final Brawl: Snowman
Ice Sculptures is the Ice Climbers new Final Smash. The Ice Climbers begin using Blizzard to form four ice sculptures that are in the shapes of random playable character (and a few previous characters in earlier SSB series). The Ice Climbers then whack at each sculpture which sends it sliding into opponents. It can be executed on the ground from which the statues slide. However, performing this attack in the air will cause the sculptures to fall down to the ground and continue sliding. Each hit from one of the ice sculptures does 20% damage which will account for 80% Ice damage altogether. In addition, there is a Ice Blast affect that will freeze opponents who are to close to a sculpture when it breaks. If it does not hit an opponent, it will continue until it falls off a ledge.
- Beginning Cinematic: Nana and Popo look at each other and nod. They begin to jump up and down and then, raise their hands in the air.
Iceberg is the Ice Climbers new Final Melee. It acts much like how it did in SSBB.
- Beginning Cinematic: The Ice Climbers blow into their hands, run them together, and start putting out Ice energy into the ground. A single ice sharp pops out and starts to grow into a large iceberg.
Snowman is the Ice Climber’s Final Brawl. The Ice Climbers begin blowing snow onto the ground. They start to jump up and down and, magically, a large snowman emerges from the snow. It starts to begin moving and jumping up and down. It then performs a massive jump and crashes down onto the opponent. Snow and ice shoot up into the air and fill it with glittering specks. Nana and PoPo give each other a highfive. It does 58-62% Ice damage.
Proposed New Stage – Iced Tower
Proposed New Taunts
- Right Side – Nana and Popo takes the mallets and twirl the handle on their hands and balance it. They then giggle.
Proposed New Palette Swap
Red and Green Nana and Popo
Proposed DLC Costumes
Current Ice Climbers Move Set (Taken from the SmashWikia)
- Standard Attack – Popo/Nana/the climbers swings his/her/their hammer(s) in front of himself/herself/themselves. Popo, first hit 3%, second hit 4%. Nana, 2% both hits. Total, 2%-11%.
- Dash Attack – Popo/Nana/the climbers do/does a short jump and swing his/her/their hammer(s) in front of himself/herself/themselves. Popo, 6%. Nana, 4%. Total, 4%-11%.
- Strong Side – Similar to neutral, but with one hand. Popo, 7%. Nana, 9%. Total, 7%-16%.
- Strong Up – Popo/Nana/the climbers spin(s) his/her/their hammer(s) over his/her/their head(s), dealing multiple hits. Popo, 6 hits of 3%, then 4%. Nana, 4 hits of 1%, then 3%. Total, 1%-17%.
- Strong Down – Popo/Nana/the climbers crouch(es) and sweep(s) his/her/their hammer(s) on the ground in front of him/her/them. Popo, 6%. Nana, 2%-5%. Total, 6%-11%.
- Side Smash – Lift hammers over head, then smash straight down. It looks similar to how they attack in their own game. Leader, 11%-13% uncharged, 16%-18% fully charged. Partner, 9%-10% uncharged, 13%-14% fully charged. Total, 9%-23% uncharged, 13%-32% fully charged
- Up Smash – Swing hammers upwards. Leader, 11% uncharged, 15% fully charged. Partner, 9% uncharged, 13% fully charged. Total, 9%-20% uncharged, 13%-28% fully charged.
- Down Smash – Sweep hammers on the ground all the way around themselves. Because the back swipes’ hitboxes extend a bit in front of the climbers and the back and forward swipes are two separate hits, this attack inflicts huge damage if the target is at close range and both climbers are present, making it ideal for Home-run Contest. This is the second most damaging d-smash in the game if both Ice Climbers hit, following Lucas who has the most damaging d-smash. Leader, 12% uncharged, 16% fully charged (-2% if facing opponent at close range). Partner, 8% uncharged, 12% fully charged (strangely, +1% to the back swipe). Total, 8%-41% uncharged, 11%-56% fully charged.
- Ledge Attack – Climbs up ledge and swings hammer(s) over their heads. 8% each hit.
- 100% ledge attack- Slowly gets up and swings their hammer low to the ground. 10% each.
- Floor Attack – Popo/Nana/they quickly get(s) up and hammer in both directions. This is surprisingly similar to their Down Smash, in that the back swipes’ hitboxes extend a bit in front of them, and the back and forward swipes are two separate hits, making it shockingly powerful at close range (assuming both climbers fell and are in the same position). 6% each hit. Total, 6%-24%.
- Trip Attack – Popo/Nana/they quickly get(s) up and spin(s) around with his/her/their hammer(s) extended. This is surprisingly similar to their Down Smash, in that the back swipes’ hitboxes extend a bit in front of them, and the back and forward swipes are two separate hits, making it shockingly powerful at close range (assuming both climbers tripped and are in the same position). 5% each hit. Total, 5%-20%.
- Neutral Aerial – The Ice Climbers swing in a circle with hammers outstretched. Leader, 7%. Partner, 5%. Total, 5%-12%.
- Forward Aerial – The Ice Climbers lift their hammers over head then swing forward, like their side smash. If the partner hits (regardless whether Nana or Popo is the partner), the attack will be a meteor smash if sweet-spotted (the sweet-spot is in timing, not area). Leader, 12%. Partner, 7% or 12% if sweet-spotted. Total, 7%-24%.
- Back Aerial – Swing hammers behind themselves. Leader, 11%. Partner, 8%. Total, 8%-19%.
- Up Aerial – Stick hammers above their head. Leader, 10% when it first comes out, 7% during the rest of the attack. Partner, 7% when it first comes out, 5% during the rest of the attack. Total, 5%-17%.
- Down Aerial – A Stall-Then-Fall. Accelerate fall with hammers below themselves. Stall almost unnoticeable. Leader, 8%. Partner, 5%. Total, 5%-13%.
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel – Headbutt. 1% per hit.
- Forward Throw – Hit with hammer. If you walk slightly forward with the partner climber (see below) before using, he/she can grab the enemy again RIGHT after you use the attack, making this a chain grab. If used near the edge and combined with your partner using a short hop then Forward Air, it can kill at 50%. 8%.
- Back Throw – Spin around and hit with hammer. The player can use the other Ice Climber to turn around and re-grab the enemy much in the fashion of the chain grab with the Forward Throw. This does not cause movement of the Ice Climbers like the latter chain grab as the enemy is thrown back and forth between the Ice Climbers. 6%.
- Up Throw – Throw upwards then smash with hammer. 6%. Can K.O. at 469%. (Probably never going to take that long to K.O.)
- Down Throw – Spike on ground. Is another chain grab, but you don’t need both climbers to execute this one. With both climbers present the other Climber can quickly grab the enemy as they bounce off the ground which will last as long as the player can manage unlike the other chain grab with Down Throw which breaks after certain percents. 6%.
- Up: They set down their hammers and jump up and down. In the Ice Climber NES game, this is the victory celebration of the Ice Climbers during the results screen (albeit without the flag). They also do the same when they reach the mountain top in Subspace Emissary.
- Side: They will point their hammers diagonally upward shout “Yup!”, as wind blows behind them (same as in Melee, only with different sound effects).
- Down: They dance in a circle.
- The Condor flies in with them hanging off its feet, then they jump off.
The Ice Climbers have been in the Super Smash Bros. series since Melee so it wouldn’t make too much sense to get rid of them now. They have earned their place amoung the SSB ranks. I felt that many of thier weaknesses was addressed in SSBB and, therefore, make for a very good fighter and balanced well. Therefore, I do not propose any more buffing or nerfing in their game play style.