Veteran: Zero Suit Samus

Zero Suit Samus from Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Name: Zero Suit Samus

Universe: Metroid


Element Alignment: Lightning

Affinity: Good

Reasons for Fighting: Revenge

Zero Suit Samus makes an appearance as Samus’ alter ego after using her Final Smash. As before, you can access this form through taunting or the character select screen. Zero Suit Samus focuses on speed and electrocuting her opponents with her gun. Her Stun Gun stuns longer and does more damage but she still retains her aerial skills and speed that was from SSBB.

Changes from SSBB to SSB4

Zero Suit Samus’ jab attack can now connect on all characters. As well. Zero Suit Samus’ stun gun does more damage on her Forward and Down Smash and stuns longer (5 frames longer), her dash attack is much faster, and her down tilt does 3% more damage.

Zero Suit Samus Special B Move Set

  • Neutral B – Paralyzer
  • Side B – Plasma Whip
  • Up B – Plasma Wire
  • Down B – Flip Jump

The Final Trio

  • Final Smash – Power Suit Samus
  • Final Melee – Partial Suit
  • Final Brawl – Deadly Hunter


Power Suit Samus is Zero Suit Samus’ Final Smash. This retains the same properties and transforms Zero Suit Samus back into Power Suit Samus.

  • Beginning Cinematic: Zero Suit Samus flips up and lands. Electricity begins to move about her. She then swipes her hand in the air dramatically.

Partial Suit is Zero Suit Samus’ Final Melee. The armor that was previous shed begins to peace itself around Zero Suit Samus. The back of her helmet, the armored back portion, parts of her arm, her arm cannon, one large shoulder pad, and parts of her legs fit over her body. Zero Suit Samus retains her speed and aerial finesse while still controlling the power of the Power Suit. All of Zero Suit Samus’ attacks are increased by half and have very high knock back. She still retains her speed and has 10% Super Armor. She can fire the Arm Cannon but her Side B is Plasma Whip, her Down B is Flip Jump, and her up B is Screw Attack. After the attack is finished, the armor falls back off and can be used again.

  • Beginning Cinematic: Zero Suit Samus lens back and spreads out her arms. Electricity flows around her body and the armor pieces begin to piece themselves around her body.

Deadly Hunter is Zero Suit Samus’ Final Brawl. Zero Suit Samus rushes forward and kicks the opponent. She then jumps and uses her Plasma Whip to grab the opponent and throws them up while in mid-air. She then jumps up and does a high kick to send them up into the sky. It has extremely good KO ability and does very high vertical damage. It does 65% Damage.

  • Beginning Cinematic: Zero Suit Samus brings out her pistol and the plasma whip shoots out. She cracks it (much like in the SSBB debut trailer) and then rushes forward.

Proposed Stage – Skytown, Elyssia

New Taunt(s)

  • Right Side – Zero Suit Samus stands up straight, brushes back her hair, and says “Time to go!”

Palette Swap

Light Zero Suit Samus – Resembles the PED Palette Swap

DLC Costumes

Military Samus

  • Attributes: 5% Speed Increase, 4% dodge speed increase, 6% jump increase, 2% fall speed increase, 2% strength decrease, 7% defense decrease, and 5% shield decrease.

Current Zero Suit Samus Move Set (taken from the SmashWikia)

Changes are in BOLD

Ground Attacks

  • Neutral Attack – Palm Strike, Pistol Whip, Hip Thrust. Hits for 2%, 2%, 3%, respectively, for a total of 7% damage. Links properly for all characters.
  • Dash Attack – Leaps off of the ground, with a leg extended horizontally, traveling forward a bit. Similar in appearance to Fox’s. Can easily be followed with tilts at low to mid percents, and can lock if buffered properly. 7% damage. Is faster than before with little lag.
  • Forward Tilt – An around-the-body kick 45 degrees from horizontal (when tilted upward). Can also be angled closer to horizontal (with forward held) or a quick, short ranged low leg sweep (when tilted down). Very low knockback. 6% damage.
  • Down Tilt – Similar in appearance to Sheik’s Down Tilt, a prone leg-sweep. Knocks upwards. Can combine with other attacks well. 9% damage.
  • Up Tilt – Does handstand-splits while spinning in place, legs moving up vertically. Two hits for 5% then 6%, totaling 11% damage. Pretty good knockback at higher percents, and at low percents it sets up combos well. Replaces her Down Smash as a semi-effective means of hitting opponents on both sides.
Smash Attacks
  • Forward Smash – Slashes forward with the whip. Good disjointed range, but poor knockback, and high starting and ending lag. Hits slightly behind her as well. 12%-18% damage in front, 6% damage behind.
  • Down Smash – Aims down and shoots Paralyzer at the ground in front of her, creating a lightning effect. Only hits in front. Low damage and delayed knockback, but stuns the target in place for a much longer time than before in SSBB. A rather unique attack, and it can be followed up by a Side Smash. Double Down Smash followed by Up Smash (or whatever is appropriate at the time) is an effective combo. Also moves Zero Suit Samus forward a little. Can infinite Fox at mid percents and other fast fallers to a lesser extent. 1316% damage.
  • Up Smash – Samus spins, extending the Plasma whip up above her head in a swirl. Hits multiple times, long vertical disjointed range and decent horizontal range. Only the tip of the plasma whip does knockback. 12-16% damage.

Aerial Attacks

  • Neutral Aerial – Samus spins the whip around her body. Fairly good knockback and long range. Always deals 10% damage, regardless of decay, and does not refresh decay on other moves.
  • Forward Aerial – Two forward kicks, each slightly faster and only slightly weaker than Samus’s Back Aerial. The second kick is stronger than the first. Because of the knockback of the first kick, it such a pain to hit with both kicks unless taking advantage of upward and forward momentum from a jump. 6% then 11%, for a total of 17% damage.
  • Back Aerial – Backward kick, similar in appearance to Samus’s Back Aerial, but is a bit faster and has a larger hitbox. High knockback, and arguably her best KO move in the air. 13%
  • Up Aerial – Flipkicks both legs above her head, similar to Fox’s Up Aerial. High KO potential on lighter characters at as little as 60%, especially if they are near the upper blast line. Sweetspot is directly in front of Samus. 10% sweetspotted, 7% otherwise.
  • Down Aerial – A Stall-Then-Fall. Samus stalls momentarily in midair, and then shoots down diagonally, similar to Sonic’s or Sheik’s Down Aerial. If it hits in midair, the first hit knocks the target into the second hit. Upon hitting the ground, it hits a second time, knocking anyone close away a fair bit. Like most Stall-Then-Fall moves, this can be used to cancel some vertical knockback if used while being knocked back. This move can Meteor Smash, but it is very dangerous when not over land as it will not stop until it is used at very high altitudes, similar to Toon Link’s Down Aerial. Extremely fast vertical descent speed makes for an effective solution to her falling speed. 4% on contact, 5% landing, total of 9% damage possible.

Grabs and Throws

  • Grab – Reaches forward with Plasma Whip. Very long range, especially her pivot grab, but is extremely laggy if misses. All of Zero Suit Samus’s grabs have a start-up of 16 frames.
  • Pummel – Knees her victim. 2% damage.
  • Forward Throw – Hits opponent forward with gun. Can chain grab most characters at low percents. Deals 2%, then 7%, for a total of 9% damage.
  • Back Throw – Kicks opponent. Deals 2%, then 4%, for a total of 6% damage.
  • Up Throw – Flips into the air and kicks the opponent. Deals 2%, then 8%, for a total of 10% damage.
  • Down Throw – Slams opponent on ground and stomps on them. Appearance similar to Captain Falcon’s Up Tilt. Ideal for combos. Deals 2%, then 5%, for a total of 7% damage.


  • Up: Throws her gun into the air, spins and catches it behind her and says “Is that all?”.
  • Left Side: Activates her whip, flicks it and says “Try me”.
  • Down: Samus spins multiple times quickly on one foot, twirling her plasma whip around her waist like a rhythmic gymnast and says teasingly and seductively, “You’re mine”.

Stage Entrance

  • Appears and the armor falls off from her (allowing it to be thrown).

My Thoughts

Zero Suit Samus was a solid character with a few weaknesses that are addressed in SSB4. Her Stun Gun should do more damage than before. With those changes to her play style, she can become a powerful character.


Veteran: Samus

A broken space station floated by the orange spacecraft. The torn metal and steel floated by and bumped off the spacecraft. Whatever destroyed this space station was close by. The orange spacecraft began to shake and rattle together until the whole galaxy seemed as if it was tearing. The orange spacecraft flew by the steel wreckage as it drifted past. Out of no where, a wrecked spacecraft appeared and another, soon the entire area was full of wreckage; broken beyond repair. The orange spacecraft couldn’t dodge in time and hit one of the wreckage that strayed away. It started to spiral out but was soon stopped in mid-crash. Samus Aran, the pilot of the ship, looked out. In front of her, a vortex appeared. It swallowed all light and everything in it’s path. But from the vortex came a solitary floating mechanical isle. Wreckage floated out in front of it into the lonely space. Samus pushed forward her Gunship and sped off to meet the floating isle head on.

Samus from Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Name: Samus

Universe: Metroid

Debut: Metroid (1986)

Element Alignment: Lightning

Affinity: Good

Reason for Fighting: Retribution

Samus is the powerful bounty hunter from the Metroid series. She wears her Power Suit which holds a number of different abilities such as firing powerful energy blasts, firing missiles, releasing bombs, long distance jumps, and air-tight containment allowing travel in space. She is on the constant search for Space Pirates and helps the Federation in fighting the Space Pirates wherever they are. She has a deep seeded hatred of Ridley, who destroyed who was responsible for the deaths of her parents. She was taken into by the Chozo and was bonded to a suit of armor called the Power Suit. She now brings the fight to the Space Pirates while revealing secrets about alien worlds and her own self.

Changes from SSBB to SSB4

All of Samus’ projectiles have received some sort of upgrade through damage or knock back. The Super Missile does more knock back and can KO while the Seeker Missile does 4% more damage. The Charged Shot does 5% more damage (not matter how long it’s charged) and more knock back. As well, Samus’ Bomb attack has a larger 2% blast radius.

Overall, Samus’ jump has been improved. Samus’ jab combo links properly on all characters. As well, her Forward Tilt and Down Smash do more knock back. Her Down Tilt and Forward Smash has a lot more killing power. Her pummel can hit larger characters (like Bowser). Her dash attack has been slightly improved. Her tether is longer with less lag and attaches to walls or ledges. Lastly, Samus’ Charged Shot can be used by simply press B for a quick shot or charged by holding down B. This is much how it was like in Melee.

Samus’s Special B Move Set

  • Neutral B – Charged Shot
  • Side B – Missile
  • Up B – Screw Attack
  • Down B – Bomb

The Final Trio

  • Final Smash – Zero Laser
  • Final Melee – Gunship
  • Final Brawl – Bounty Hunter


Zero Laser is Samus’ Final Smash. It acts much like the original Zero Laser and, at the end, Zero Suit Samus is playable.

  • Beginning Cinematic: Samus presses buttons on her arm and cannon and charges it. She then stands up straight and holds her arm cannon upright.

Gunship is Samus’s Final Melee. Her Gunship hovers above the ground and Samus jumps up and enters the cockpit. She then gains control of the ship and fire blasters against players on the stage. It has a hovering type animation and will drift if the player moves the control stick to fast and then change directions. You can say the ship is in hovering mode. Pressing A will shoot out lasers that can devastate the stage. When the lasers come into contact with the stage, an explosion will occur. Each laser blast does 40% damage head on and decreases by 10% the further the blast is from a opponent. The explosion does between 10-39% damage; depending on the location and proximity of the explosion blast. In addition, hovering over an opponent does 3% damage for every hit and can cause opponents to bounce against the ground. This is also a possible meteor smash. Players can also jump on top of the Gunship in which, Samus can drift to the top or sides of the stage for a KO but her ship is fairly slow so it’s easy for players to jump off.

  • Beginning Cinematic: Samus presses a button on her Power Suit and, from behind her, the Gunship emrges, She humps up in a boost of energy and descends into the Gunship.

Bounty Hunter is Samus’s Final Brawl. Samus’ armor begins to glow with a blue color. She takes the grapple beam and grabs the opponent. She then tosses the opponent in the air while grapple beam is still attached. Samus then uses her rocker boosters and kicks the opponent to the ground. She then instantly pulls herself into the opponent who is laying on the ground and releases a powerful charged shot that obliterates the ground under the opponent. It does above-average knock back and deals 68-71% damage.

Proposed New Stage:Skytown Elysia

Proposed New Taunt(s)

  • Left Side – Samus curls up into the Morph Ball and begins bouncing on the ground. She bounces quickly 4 times, the forth being the highest bounce. She then returns back to normal.

Proposed New Palette Swaps

Lightened Samus – It highly resembles the PED Suit.

Proposed Buya-able Costumes

Hazard Shield Costume (from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)

  • Attributes: %15 Damage, Projectile, and Environment Damage Resistance Increase, 8% attack power decrease, 4% speed decrease, and Charged Shot takes longer to charge.

Light Suit Costume (from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

  • Attributes: 15% Dark Damage Resistance Increase, 10% Light Damage Increase, 3% Jump Increase, 5% Attack Damage Decrease, 5% Shield Decrease.

Samus’s Current Move Set (taken from SmashWikia)

Ground Attacks

  • Dash Attack – Shoulder tackles. 11% damage. Decent dash attack with average knockback, but, while it’s still weak, it throws opponents higher and is good for setting up a b-air or other air games.
  • Neutral Attack – Punches and attacks with arm cannon in an arc. 3%, then 7%, with a total of 10%. Good on short-hopping opponents close-up, the second hit is faster to cancel shielding.
  • Forward Tilt – Spin kicks forward. 8% close range, 7% far range, 10% if angled up or down. Samus’s best mid-range defense/spacing move. Average knock back. Angling this one makes a much bigger difference than with most tilts.
  • Up Tilt – Axe kicks down. Similar to Captain Falcon’s Up-Tilt, though no disjoint, a little weaker and doesn’t move her forward. 13% damage. Good knockback, long duration. Good for use beneath platforms, spiking opponents against the ground into the air. Otherwise useful as a kind of anti-air move.
  • Down Tilt – Creates a fire burst on the ground with arm cannon. This is very similar to Snake‘s forward smash. 16% damage. High knockback for a down tilt. Samus’s quickest kill move, but laggy if shielded, has a small hitbox, and doesn’t defend against short-hops well.
  • Forward Smash – Thrusts arm cannon forward. It has Average KOing power. It has fast start-up, which can counter balance its poor reach and below-average knockback; surprising opponents up close after a cancelled fair or whenever the opportunity presents itself. This attack can KO at 90%. Due to its high knockback scaling, it is arguably Samus’ most reliable finisher. It can also be pointed upwards or downwards by holding the control stick either up or down respectively. Does 14%-22%.
  • Up Smash – Releases 5 fire bursts in an arc above herself. Moderately fast start-up lag, but has punishable ending lag with poor horizontal reach. The first four hitboxes have negligible knockback, designed to link each hitbox. However, the u-smash is easy to escape out of, especially at high percentages. One of the least effective smashes in the game, this move can occasionally redeem itself by catching larger characters for significant damage. It is otherwise very situational. Does 4-6% for each hit, dealing 23%-32% if all hits connect.
  • Down Smash – Spins around on the ground with her feet, sending her victims upward (back hit sends foes diagonally in front of Samus). Good for spacing. Fast start-up, but the back hit does not happen quickly and the d-smash has a little ending lag but not as bad as before. It has average KO ability however and will not reliably KO under 100%. Does 15-21% for the frontal hitbox, does 14-19% for the back hitbox.

Aerial Attacks

  • Neutral Air – Sex Kick. 9% initially, 6% if hit afterwards. Below-average knockback. Samus’s large character model makes this neutral longer-ranged than many of the others in the game, but it’s still a primarily defensive maneuver.
  • Forward Air – Creates 5 fire burst in front of her. 3-4% per hit, 18% total. Okay knockback on final hit. Cancels quickly enough on landing to follow up with a d-tilt if someone was caught before the final fire burst. Great on ledge-hops, and an overall useful offensive move.
  • Back Air – Spins once backward with kick. 10% damage with low knockback normally, 14% damage with good knockback if hit with the tip of her foot. Somewhat slow with a tiny sweetspot, this kill move is hard to land and requires trickery and good spacing.
  • Up Air – Spins in a drill upward. 11% damage. Multiple hitboxes with low knockback makes this move one of Samus’s setup moves.
  • Down Air – Swings arm cannon in an arc underneath herself, can meteor smash with average power and has a fairly large hitbox. 15% damage. A great move to use while floating backwards over run-ins, but has a sweeping hitbox that needs good placement and is fairly slow. This is her only way to KO at lower percentages.
  • Grapple Beam – Sends grapple forward, with long range. 4% damage, 7% with tip. A staple Samus move that makes Samus one of the best campers in the game. Combine with Homing Missle/Super Missile-cancels and Charge Shots for a tremendous long-range obstacle course for opponents.

Grabs & Throws

  • Grab – Reaches forward with Grapple Beam. Incredibly laggy and dangerous, sped up slightly while running.
  • Pummel – Hits with fist. 1%
  • Back Throw – Flings backward. 8%
  • Forward Throw – Flings forward. 9%
  • Up Throw – Spins above her head and blasts opponent upward. Gradually deals a total of 9% damage
  • Down Throw – Slings back over her head then slams down. 6%


  • Up: Salutes vigorously with her left arm as her booster goes off.
  • Left Side: Faces the screen and shows off what her arm cannon looks like while using her Zero Laser.
  • Down: Holding her arm cannon with her left hand, she aims behind her, then aims lower in front of her. Her cannon glistens each time she aims.

Stage Entrance

  • Exits from a Super Metroid Save Point.

My Thoughts

I wasn’t sure why Samus was nerfed in SSBB but I think that in SSBB4, she should play much like in SSBM or even better. I suggest buffing up Samus by giving her some killing moves such as the Missiles, her Charged Shot, and Forward Smash as well as increase her speed stats in terms of attacking. Making Samus have more moves that can KO, do more damage, and make her less heavier will make her a good character in my opinion.